Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility International | University of West Florida
Skip to main content


The University of West Florida hosts more than 400 international students from more than 65 countries. At UWF, we believe in the power of higher education to drive change on campus and around the world. We welcome applicants from all over the globe to study on our campus, where our spirited community of learners is launching the next generation of big thinkers who will change the world.

For All International on-campus graduate programs, applications must be submitted by:

Spring: October 1
Summer: March 1
Fall: May 1


University Level Required Admission Documents

Submit the graduate degree seeking application. The application for graduate admission and a nonrefundable $30 processing fee payable to the University of West Florida should be submitted six to nine months prior to the semester for which admission is requested. It is the policy of the University not to waive the application processing fee. The application fee is good for up to 3 semesters should an applicant wish to move their original application to a new start term.

The application processing fee must be in U.S. currency, drawn on a U.S. bank.

The application processing fee should be sent to:

The University of West Florida
Cashier's Office
11000 University Pkwy., Bldg 20E
Pensacola, FL 32514-5750

Applicants are admitted to the University only for the semester for which they apply. Students who do not enroll in the semester for which they have been admitted and want consideration for a different semester must submit a Graduate Application Term Change Request. The application processing fee can be transferred once within 3 semesters. Admission is not automatic, and applicants will be considered for admission under the policies in effect at that time. If an applicant has attended, or is currently attending, another collegiate institution since the submission of the previous application, the applicant must indicate the institution on the new application and may provide an official transcript.

For applicants that wish to move their original application to a new start term within 3 semesters may do so only prior to the application cancellation period for the original application term. If the application has been canceled either by the applicant or the institution, a new application will be required.

*International graduate students in F-1 visa status are required to take 3 credit hours of face-to-face coursework per semester, according to 8 CFR 214.2 (f) (6) (i) (G).  Please be aware of this if/when you are applying to a fully online program.

For campus graduate programs International applications must be submitted by:

  • Spring: October 1
  • Summer: March 1
  • Fall: May 1


Applicants must submit one official transcript from each college and university attended to the Graduate School. Students who received their undergraduate degree from UWF do not need to provide UWF transcripts. Transcripts are considered official when they are sent from a college or university directly to the Graduate School and bear an official seal and signature. Transcripts bearing the statement "Issued to Student," faxed transcripts, or transcripts submitted by the applicants are not considered official.

International applicants may only submit:

  1. original documents


  1. officially signed & certified photocopies of original documents when institutions outside the U.S. will not send academic records to other institutions. The verifying signature preferably should be that of an officer of the institution attended.

All documents that are not in English must have a certified English translation.

When credential evaluations verify that they were provided with official documents directly from the institution, additional official transcripts will not be required by UWF. However, if not verified as official documents, or not attached to the official credential evaluation, an official document directly from the institution will be required.

International applicants and students that have international documents may only submit:
  1. original documents


  1. officially signed & certified photocopies of original documents.

All documents that are not in English must have a certified translation.

When credential evaluations verify that they were provided with official documents directly from the institution, additional official transcripts will not be required by UWF. However, if not verified as official documents, or not attached to the official credential evaluation, an official document directly from the institution will be required.

We only accept official international credential evaluations and the evaluation must have the official transcripts included in the document.

The UWF Graduate School reserves the right to reject an evaluation if we have any reason to believe it is not legitimate or accurate.

The official evaluation report must contain a "course-by-course" description and a grade point average from every institution you previously attended. This includes institutions where you took a few classes but did not complete a degree.

Applicants must contact one of the evaluation agencies to start this process.

Applicants are responsible for all service and shipping fees.

The evaluation agency must submit the official evaluation report either via mail or electronically. We will not accept evaluation reports sent from applicants.

The official evaluation report must arrive at UWF before the application deadline for the semester the applicant plans to attend.

International applicants must have their foreign credentials evaluated. Approved agencies are listed below.  UWF does not endorse any particular approved agency.   You should check with the agency first to make sure that your educational background can be evaluated, as some agencies do not evaluate all international degrees. For example: Bologna bachelor's degree. 

Any member of NACES
FIS - Foundation for International Services


Check with the department to see if they will complete an internal credential evaluation. Some departments offer this, but others may not.


If you are pursuing the ESE M.A. with ABA specialization: 
If you are a student from an accredited University in Canada, you may be able to have your international credential evaluation performed by the Center for Behavior Analysis rather than an outside agency. Please email for more information.

Proficiency Test

If the international applicant's native language is not English or the applicant is from a country in which the primary language is not English, or the applicant does not hold a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution, he or she must take one of the following tests before consideration of admission:

Minimum Required Scores for English Proficiency Tests
Test TypeScore
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)

iBt - 71

Essentials - 7.5

International English Language Testing System (IELTS) 6.0
Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) B2
Duolingo English Test (DET) 95
Pearson Test of English (PTE) 50
Cambridge English Language Assessment (CELA) 170
Oxford Online Placement Test B2
Some programs may accept tests not on this list. Contact department for other tests that may be accepted.


Minimum scores required by the University are listed in the table above. However, individual departments may require higher scores.

* Mobile devices should use the landscape orientation to view this entire table.

English proficiency test scores are considered official only when they are sent directly to the Graduate School from the testing agency.

English proficiency test information and registration forms are available in many locations outside the U.S., usually at U.S. embassies and consulates, at offices of the U.S. Information Agency (U.S.I.A.), from U.S. educational commissions and foundations, at Binational Centers, and from many private organizations such as the Institute of International Education (IIE), American-Mideast Educational and Training Services, Inc. (AMIDEAST), and the African-American Institute (AAI).

Intensive English Program

The Intensive English Program offers programs designed to help non-native speakers develop English skills for personal, academic, and professional purposes. IEP classes are similar to university classes in teaching style and content; therefore, students are required to have studied at least one year of English before attending the IEP.

The academic Intensive English Program improves the listening, speaking, reading, writing, and vocabulary skills needed to study at an American university and includes TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) practice for advanced students. The official TOEFL is given on campus at the UWF Testing Centers.

We invite you to explore the Intensive English Program website.

Beginning in Spring 2025, a $200 non-refundable admission deposit will be required for international graduate student applicants who confirm their admission and request a Form I-20*.  This fee must be paid prior to issuing the I-20. 
*This is for on-campus programs only. 

Please visit this page to see test requirements by program.

Form I-20 Process

If an international applicant is admitted to a graduate program at UWF and intends to study on an F-1 student visa, the student will work with UWF International Programs on the Form I-20 process. International students admitted to UWF must show financial ability before a Form I-20 can be issued. Students can review How to Get an I-20 for further information on the process and requirements at UWF. 

Online Program Restrictions

UWF offers many online programs and distance education courses; however, the U.S. federal government limits the number of online courses that an F-1 student can count toward a full-time course load during a required semester. F-1 students should consult with the UWF International Student Office before applying to an online program or enrolling in any online classes. More information about the regulations regarding online enrollment can be found in the Code of Federal Regulations, 8 CFR 214.2(f)(6)(i)(G).

Student Health Form

Applicants must submit a "Student Health Form" completed in its entirety by a physician. Documentation of measles (rubella and rubeola) immunization must be submitted through Med+Proctor. Any document submitted in a language other than English must be accompanied by a translation. Florida law also requires that students residing on campus must provide proof of immunization for meningitis and hepatitis B, or sign a waiver indicating their informed decision not to be vaccinated. Effective Fall 2015, all students who are living in residence halls on any UWF campus are required to provide documentation of receiving one dose of the meningococcal conjugate vaccine (MCV4), also known as Menactra or Menveo. Additionally, documentation of a booster dose of MCV4 is required if the first dose was administered before the age of 16 years. This vaccine is required for all students living on campus and cannot be waived. Please visit the Student Health Services website for more information.

Health Insurance

International students are required to show proof of adequate medical insurance coverage for illness or accidental injury before they will be permitted to register or to continue enrollment. An adequate medical insurance policy must meet a number of requirements, including that the insurance proceeds are payable in U.S. currency. Insurance may be obtained at the University before registration. Please review international student health insurance requirements and purchasing options at this link.

International Student Resources

UWF's International Programs provides immigration assistance to all international students, scholars, and employees at the University of West Florida. Among the services offered are advising on immigration rules, regulations, responsibilities, and deadlines, processing immigration requests and forms such as:

  • Travel documents
  • Employment authorizations
  • Dependent documents
  • Social Security card applications/approvals
  • Optional Practical Training (OPT) and Curricular Practical Training (CPT) Workshops

We encourage you to explore the Office of International Affairs website.

As required by U.S. law and to assist you with your new life as a UWF student, the International Student Orientation covers Immigration Law, UWF Student Life & Services, U.S. culture, and the U.S. Higher Education System, and more. This orientation is mandatory for all international students.

International Student Orientation Information



 At the University of West Florida, everyone is welcome, all cultures are celebrated, and every student graduates prepared for a global future. The sun shines here all year round!