Elevator Pitch Contest
UWF students and recent graduates are encouraged to participate. Work in teams to pitch your business plans. First, submit a video entry to compete at the finals!
What is an Elevator Pitch?
An elevator pitch is a short presentation that promotes an idea. At this elevator pitch contest, you will explain and promote your business idea. Your elevator pitch will be delivered in a video and in a face-to-face presentation in front of a panel of judges. Judges will analyze several aspects of your idea, including the business model, the target audience, the brand image, and the forecasted profit.
Your pitch should answer these questions:
- What is the problem? What is your solution?
- Who will buy it?
- How big is the opportunity?
- How will you sell your product?
- What are your projected costs, revenue, and profit?
- What are the team's capabilities?
Win A Cash Prize!
Prize awards to be announced soon!
How Do You Participate?
This contest is open to all UWF students and recent graduates.
Step 1: Develop a 1 to 2-minute video that explains your business idea. Your video elevator pitch is due March 5, 2018 to the form.
Note: The John C. Pace Library's Skylab has computers with Adobe Creative Suite, the premiere software for your video editing. In addition, there is always someone at the Skylab who can help you with the software.
Step 2: Finalists will be notified by March 9, 2018.
Step 3: Finalists will present a 5-minute oral elevator pitch on March 24, 2018 in the College of Business (76A/101). Winners will be announced.
The College of Business will host weekly seminars to provide our competitors with essential advice for a successful entry. Stop by, enjoy some pizza, and learn how to create the perfect elevator pitch!
1st week: "Overview of the Elevator Pitch Contest" | February 14 | Building 4 | Room 406 | 12:00PM - 12:45PM
2nd week: "A good idea, and a few other things" | February 21 | Building 4 | Room 406 | 12:00PM - 12:45PM
3rd week: "Making your video" | February 28 | Building 4 | Room 406 | 12:00PM - 12:45PM Watch the recording.
4th week: "Share your vision with a great speech" | March 7 | Building 74 | Room 101 | 12:00PM - 12:45PM
Rules & Suggestions:
I. Teams of graphic design, business and engineering students are likely to win, because our judges prefer ideas with strong business “bones,” an engineered product mock-up, and a professional “brand image.”
II. Contestants should address these topics:
1. Problem and the solution = Your Product/Service – The vision for your Big Idea. What problem will you solve? What are the basic advantages and benefits of your product?
2. Market – Who are your customers? How many are there? How will you get customers? How will you sell to them? What will drive your revenue? What is your price? Who are your competitors?
3. Money – Can it be worth it? What will it cost to make the product? What is your profit? About how much money will you need to start your business?
4. Brand – What is your company’s unique identity? What image will you create for customers? Are your name, logo, and story aligned? What talents do you have/need to make your dream a reality?
5. Team – What talents do you have/need to make your dream a reality? Your advisory board?
III. At the finals, presentation slides are not required. If you plan to use slides, 4-6 are reasonable. Too many will be a burden. Your short video may be used.
IV. If you have any questions about the contest, please contact Dr. Robert Perkins, firstname.lastname@example.org.