Diversity Plan at UWF
The Diversity Plan outlines strategies and a timeline for achieving the five diversity goals, as well as those units responsible for implementation.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion at the University of West Florida
At the University of West Florida, we define equal opportunity as non-discrimination on the basis of protected characteristics. We define diversity as the various attributes we each possess based on characteristics from birth, experience we have had, and decisions we have made. We define inclusion as acknowledging and leveraging diversity by creating an environment where students, faculty and staff feel accepted, and valued. We celebrate the unique characteristics of each member of our community as well as the commonalities we share. As an educational institution we recognize the considerable benefits emanating from the diverse human mosaic that is our university. It is our vision to be an intellectual and cultural center that engages our students, faculty, staff and community partners in an ongoing and dynamic process that prepares each of us to be culturally competent in an ever-changing multicultural world.
President’s Council on Diversity and Inclusion
The President’s Council on Diversity and inclusion is made up of students, faculty, staff and members of the Pensacola community.
Diversity Planning Process
The President’s Council on Diversity and Inclusion worked with the chief diversity officer to review the 2017 Campus Climate Survey and the Diversity Report to inform the update of the Diversity Plan 2018-2022.
UWF Non-Discrimination Policy
The University of West Florida has established a non-discrimination policy to provide an inclusive and welcoming environment for all who interact in our community.
- Create and sustain programming for underrepresented populations that increase retention and graduation rates for student from underrepresented populations.
- Increase University outreach to students in the region who come from underrepresented populations.
- Ensure that students from underrepresented populations have greater access to high-impact learning opportunities which lead to improved retention and graduation rates (i.e., Kugelman Honors Program and study abroad).
- Better communicate the University’s efforts to achieve inclusive excellence on campus
- Create more opportunities for dialog to discuss current events and issues affecting our global, national and local communities.
- Create campus resource guides for underrepresented populations on campus.
- Work with Human Resources to create a hiring toolkit that will address diverse pools and candidates.
- Create a faculty work group that will make recommendations to the Office of the Provost for programming to support recruitment and retention of diverse faculty.
- Create opportunities for faculty and staff to engage in the work that is necessary for our campus community to be inclusive.
- Enhance the Cross-Cultural Competence Program at UWF to expand reach.
- Create more opportunities for students to engage in diversity and inclusion training and programming through on-campus workshops and activities.
- Celebrate the diversity of Pensacola and Florida through activities and displays on- and off-campus.
- Initiate a regional diversity and inclusion conference for UWF and Pensacola.
- Build partnerships with organizations and business entities in the community who are dedicated to employing a diverse workforce and willing to help students develop the necessary skills to be workforce ready.
- Expand the Cross-Cultural Competence MOOC to offer credit or certificate bearing programs.