Welcome to High-Impact Practices/Experiential Learning
UWF is committed to providing students with the opportunity to experience learning outside of the classroom. Engaging in high impact practices such as study abroad, service learning, or undergraduate research allows a student to have an enriched learning approach, which will also have a significant impact on the student's persistence to degree attainment.
What High-Impact Practices/Experiential Learning Does For You
When students have a diversity of abilities that comes from experiential learning, they are equipped to face the challenges and demands of a 21st Century global society. Research suggests that students who engage in two or more high impact practices are found to have higher GPAs and exhibit a decrease in time to obtain an undergraduate degree. Participation in high impact practices not only supports success in academics, but has also been found to build early professional experience and provide students with a clear path toward career interests and developing a professional network.
- Employers will need to create a Handshake account. Visit the Employers FAQs page on the Handshake at UWF website for instructions on creating an account.
- Alumni will need to create a Handshake account and connect with UWF. Visit the Students/Alumni FAQs page on the Handshake at UWF website for more information.
- Current students will access Handshake via MyUWF and will have an account already created for them.
The Office of Career Development & Community Engagement (CDCE) works with employers to post internships, cooperative education opportunities, volunteer and service experiences, as well as full-time and part-time positions for UWF students and alumni. These opportunities, which shall be referred to as "employment" for the purposes of this agreement, are listed through Handshake. Posting a position for UWF students and alumni indicates that you have read, understand, and agree to terms and conditions of the UWF Handshake Agreement outlined here.
UWF Handshake Agreement
- CDCE makes no particular recommendation regarding off-campus employers or agencies.
- Handshake is to be utilized to post employment opportunities only. Postings that incorporate advertisements of an organization's goods or services will not be posted.
- Some Handshake student profile information is self-reported. UWF students and alumni are expected to represent themselves accurately. Misrepresentation or presenting false information in Handshake could result in a violation of the UWF Student Code of Conduct. Alumni providing false information could be prohibited from using CDCE programs and services.
- The University of West Florida is not responsible for the relationship between the student/alumni and the employer/agency.
- The University of West Florida is not responsible for the safety, wages, or working conditions, or other aspects of off-campus employment or work, based on service experiences of the student/alumni.
- Employers utilizing Handshake and CDCE programs will not discriminate in its hiring and other employment practices. Employers using CDCE resources will comply with federal discrimination laws and applicable state discrimination laws, regardless of the number of employees in the workplace.
- CDCE reserves the right to refuse to post jobs that do not support the educational mission of the university.
- All job listings and volunteer opportunities for UWF students and alumni are posted at the discretion of the University of West Florida CDCE staff. We will not post jobs that appear to discriminate against applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender (including gender identity and sex), marital status, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, and veteran status.
CDCE at the University of West Florida follows the Principles for Professional Conduct provided by the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE).
Please contact CDCE at 850.474.2254 with any questions or concerns.
Wed, 5 Sep 2018 18:00:00 GMTWed, 5 Sep 2018 18:00:00 GMT
Wed, 26 Sep 2018 17:00:00 GMTWed, 26 Sep 2018 17:00:00 GMT
Wed, 3 Oct 2018 17:00:00 GMTWed, 3 Oct 2018 17:00:00 GMT