First Time U.S. Passport Information
As a service to the University community, UWF Postal Services provides information on the requirements needed for a U.S. passport application.
Below is a summary of the most common requirements for a first time passport applicant. After you prepare the documents, you may submit them in-person to one of five local passport acceptance locations (PDF), which includes the USPS downtown Pensacola office. The UWF Post Office does not process in-person applications.
Application – Form DS-11. Read thoroughly and comply with the general information on first four pages of application. Bring the completed form (black ink) and required documents to a passport agency application location. You must complete items 1-21. Do not sign the application until asked to do so by the person accepting application.
Four items needed in addition to the application include:
1. Proof of U.S. Citizenship – Applicants born in the U.S. - Submit a previous U.S. Passport or certified birth certificate. Passports that are limited in validity must be supplemented by other evidence. A birth certificate must include your full name, date and place of birth, sex, date the birth record was filed, the seal or other certification of the official custodian of such records (state, country, or city/town office), and the full names of your parent(s).
- If your birth certificate was filed more than one-year after your birth, or no birth record exists, or you were born outside the U.S. see Information for First Time Applicants for more specific details and requirements and special requirements for children.
- If you are 16 years of age or older your passport is valid for 10 years.
- If you are under sixteen years of age your passport is valid for 5 years.
2. Proof of Identity – You should submit items such as the following containing your signature AND a photograph that is a good likeness of you: previous or current U.S. passport book; previous or current U.S. passport card; driver's license (not temporary or learner's license); Certificate of Naturalization; Certificate of Citizenship; military identification; or federal, state, or municipal government employee ID Card.
- If additional evidence is required by the passport agent or you cannot provide documentary evidence of identity see Information for First Time Applicants for more info.
3. Recent Color Photograph – Photographs that are required are available at the passport agency location at the time of application for $15.00. Or, you can provide your own that meet all Passport Photo Requirements. Photo must be a clear, color photograph of you alone, full front view, on quality white paper, sufficiently recent to be a good likeness of you (taken within the last six months), without a hat, head covering or dark glasses, and 2x2 inches in size. Sized such that the head is between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches (between 25 and 35 mm) from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head. View the Photo Composition Template for more size requirement details. (The UWF Post Office does not have the ability to take passport photos.)
4. Fees (as of 4/2016)
- Passport Book Fee - Adult $110; Child $80.00
- Passport Card Fee - Adult $30.00; Child $15.00
- Passport Book & Card Fee - Adult $140.00; Child $95.00
- Execution Fee - $35.00 for each application; effective April 2, 2018
- Photo Onsite: $15.00
- Payment: Checks and money orders are to be made out to Department of State for the Passport and/or Passport Card. Checks and money orders must be made out to USPS for the Execution Fee and Photo Fee. (Money orders are available at the UWF Post Office for cash and $1.20 money order fee.)
- Families may write one check listing each family member and their date of birth.
- Mailing: Regular postal rates apply.
How Long Does it Take for Delivery?
- Routine - 4-6 weeks
- Expedited delivery may also be available